Re: Watermelons

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund asked:
"One image has reporting marks that seem to terminate in M&S, but I bet there are more initials on the left end the reporting mark that the photographer cut off - making the reporting marks possibly have the format xxM&S or xxxM&S.

I am wondering if it is Fort Dodge Des Moines & Southern, which would make the reporting marks FtDDM&S... anyone have any thoughts with regard to whose stock car we are looking at?"

Judging from the caption referencing Missouri watermelons and the vintage of the car, it's more likely that the car belongs to the St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern, later merged into the Missouri Pacific.

Ben Hom