Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Elgin Boxcar Green/Orange paint when started? Decals Available???

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Andy;

I wholeheartedly agree!

I understand they were originally contemplated as steel carriers (like the P&WV ACF cars, and the B&LE XM-5's), and so, got wide doorways for forklifts. Since there was no need for a tall car, and limited clearances in some of the mills, it makes sense they were only 10' IH.

Early steel shipment is kinda my thing, so these cars are fascinating.

And some of the coolest P&L EVER!

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andy Carlson
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2019 11:52 AM
To: STMFC <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Elgin Boxcar Green/Orange paint when started? Decals Available???

Wow, what a cool car, Eldon!

If this is an 8' door car, a somewhat easy kit bash can be made by removing the outer two panels on each end of a Branchline #1000A Blueprint series 50' 16 panel box car, followed by trimming the top of the sides by 6 scale inches. A 7' door car can be made with a bit more work. The rewards of going to this work pays off well when compared to a CB&T shops version with over-sized rivets.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Elgin Boxcar Green/Orange paint when started? Decals Available???

Guys;

I did one of those early early Sunshine kits of the rebuilt DS cars that included orange decals in the map scheme for the overall green car with black ends/roof.

The later cars with wide doorways, billboard schemes, abbreviated top rib ends and 10' interior heights (attached) are a tough project, and no decals I was ever able to find.

What a great resin kit those would make!

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----

Tichy makes them. Tho they are a bit thick...
Joe Binish

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Michael Gross <ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com <mailto:ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com> <mailto:ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com <mailto:ActorMichaelGross@gmail.com> > > wrote:

While we're on this subject, does anyone still make a decal of the iconic orange Chicago map and lettering on the EJ&E?
--
Michael Gross
Pasadena, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.