Re: RDG 70000 series 4-bay hoppers

Bruce Smith

Jim,

I am not  a READING hopper expert but I have a few photos. I believe that you would be mistaken to assume that these cars started life as composite cars. The options are HTL or HTN class depending on the number. I believe that both classes were built as steel cars with "stemwinder brakes". I think that you are looking at a photo of 70056 - it would be helpful if you gave the number of the car in the photo so we might know if we're all looking at the same thing. 😉  I think that 70056 is a class HTN car.

I have 2 photos of quads.

HTL 71000, 6-22, vertical shaft brake, with some funky assed wheel.

HTN 70455, built 1924, reweigh STC 3-48, appears to have Ajax horizontal shaft wheel.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of James E Kubanick <jekuban@...>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2019 6:12 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] RDG 70000 series 4-bay hoppers

I have a photo of RDG 4bay steel hopper. It is a 3/4 view shot and I am using it to build an HO model. Unfortunately, the end shown in the photo is the A end and I cannot tell if these cars had power hand brakes or stem winders. I want to build the car as it would have appeared in 1952. The photo shows the car was built in   6 /24,, reweighed in 8/48 and re4packed by the PRR in 4/51.The class designation is obliterated by the banged up panel. This car had retained it's Andrews trucks and still was equipped with Carmer cut levers.

I suspect that these hoppers were originally composite hoppers, later rebuilt as all steel card and probably received power hand brakes at that time, similar to a batch of LV quads. However, I'd like to confirm my suspicions before building the model. Are there any Reading experts on this list that can verify the brake system used on these cars in 1952?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.