Re: MODEL OR PROTOTYPE

MDelvec952

I think it's a great modeling job. That photo required great examination, but a couple of things give it away. First is the track. Under a 40-foot boxcar on 39-foot rails would be at least a couple of joints. That switch in the foreground would have heel-block joints and a series of braces against the rail, and the rail itself has a base that's much thicker than what would have been used in that era. (Part of my day job is to perform track inspections).

That chalk mark is known by its artist as Colossus of Roads. It's drawn by a clever but anonymous trainman in the south who has been making this drawing on railcars since 1971 (20 years after the 1951 scale mark). He retired in 2003 but still marks cars.  I see a lot of them in our yards.

Still, impressive modeling job.

Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Jul 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] MODEL OR PROTOTYPE

I recently came across this image.  I felt that it was a prototype photo until I noticed the chalk marks above the right truck.  This seems to be one that is in the Clover House chalk mark set.  Possibly this wss the inpspiration for this set. Which is it?

Bill Pardie

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.