Re: New Walthers freight cars

tyesac@aol.com

I think the operative phrase was one Richard Hendrickson used often: "Train set Bozos" will buy them.   No doubt someday there will be a YouTube video with someone having an entire unit train of poultry cars and I hat to think what would be pulling it.

Tom Casey

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Jul 14, 2019 11:08 pm
Subject: [RealSTMFC] New Walthers freight cars

Aaack! Where did this crap come from?
Tony Thompson 

On Jul 14, 2019, at 9:05 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

The MR “newsletter” had a photo.
Tony Thompson 

On Jul 14, 2019, at 8:07 PM, Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:

Thanks Eric. I was wondering. I saw Kalmbach had the car listed among new items, but no photo.

Doug  Harding

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Hansmann
Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2019 9:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Poultry car models

I looked for these at the National Train Show but Bachmann did not have them displayed.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On July 12, 2019 at 8:53 PM Douglas Harding <doug.harding@...> wrote:
Knowing my interest in Poultry cars, a friend spotted this and sent it to me with a note to check out page 4!

https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/2019nmraslc/html5/index.html

First thing I noticed, they have standard steel boxcar doors! How could Bachmann screw that up? And at $49? Seriously?
Attached is a photo of LPTC #666 Mudd. Compare to the Bachmann illustration.
Speedy was a combo car, Bachmann blew this one.
Stentz was a Palace Poultry Car PPKX 5131. Can’t even get the numbers right.

Who ever is advising Bachmann on these cars would appear to have no knowledge of actual poultry cars.

It appears Bachmann took their standard 40’ boxcar, and replaced the sides with a fake poultry car side. It looks like the screen wire and chickens are silk screen on plastic, very similar to the Lionel poultry car. Details are wrong or non-existent. They need two ladders per side, not one. And the Palace Poultry cars had four ladders per side. The names and numbers are not properly matched, ie they don’t have my list. Looks like the car sits to high on the trucks. A prototype poultry car has four panels on each side of the door, the model has five. And I have not seen a single poultry car with a letter board, like the Palace car in Bachmann’s catalog.

My hopes of a poultry car are quickly diminished.

Doug  Harding

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.