From: pennsylvania1954
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2019 11:27 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Elgin Boxcar Green/Orange paintwhen started? Decals Available???

This may help. From the prototype photo of 61216 posted earlier, I did this model a few years ago. Intermountain 40' undec p/n 41099 which comes with 6' door, 10' H, 12 panel sides, r/3/4 ends, 8 rung ladders, and diagonal panel roof. I replaced the roof with a Red Caboose rectangular panel.

For the doors I faked it by partially opening the door, hiding the 6' width and too wide side panels with an 8' door. The doors are not perfect in their rib spacing, but that is not as evident on the real model. They are Branchline 100010, reduced in height.

Decals are from Jerry Glow, back when he was in business, well before he sold his line to Tichy. As has been mentioned multiple times, they are thick. As I recall, besides my usual Solvaset, pressing on the decal with a cloth wet with hot water conformed the decal around the rivet details. Like most, I prefer thin decals, but these were all we have.

Paint is Scalecoat II Southern Green.

The "dents" to the left of the door are from a yard incident involving sideswiping a flat car. All involved have been verbally reprimanded. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL