Wood Pipe Load

Andy Carlson

Two towns that I am aware which had wood water lines are Eureka and Fort Bragg, both in California's Redwood country with large mills. I am confident that many more towns had these as well.

There was local news about 2 years ago when the town of Fort Bragg replaced their last Redwood log water pipes. They lasted long, some about a 100 years or longer. Unlike the low pressure WWll wooden pipes of this subject, the Redwood water mains were rifle drilled redwood logs and retained the bark. Illustrates the water-resistance Redwoods possess.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019, 5:30:31 PM PDT, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

While not the ones in the article we had some in the ground through the mid 1900’s in my hometown.  They were being replaced when I was an engineering intern.

On Jul 16, 2019, at 8:18 PM, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

I can’t imagine they lasted long in service.