Re: Atlas Freight Car Announcement

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bill and Friends,

I see that Atlas will be offering their ARA 1932 boxcar in an undecorated in "Body Style 2" (with the flat plate ends). This is essentially correct for the Seaboard class B-6, though it does have some problems. Upgrading this car was covered by John Golden and Justin May in the SEABOARD-COAST LINE MODELER for March 2009. This car is useful for all us steam-era "Y'all Railroad" modelers. I may to try to get one, though I need another boxcar like I need a hole in my head.

I see they are offering undecorated models of styles 1, 2 and 5. Has anyone ever done an analysis of the various Atlas body styles for the 1932 ARA boxcars? I know some of the detail combinations were worthy of Train Miniature, but with a shot-gun approach at least some of these must have had a prototype or two beside the standard design. I do have a print-out of John Hile's STMFC post from 2008, but it only discusses six cars Atlas released pre-lettered: CG, CRR, I-GN, MEC, CRR and WRTCo. Since I have a couple of F&C kits, plus a Sunshine Norfolk Southern, all unbuilt, I probably won't spring for any others unless the bodies are unique.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/19/19 5:35 AM, Bill Welch wrote:
This link shows a few freight car releases for the era of this group. I like undecorated and so the three 1932 variations are of interest to me plus I think I may get one of the little meat reefers: https://mycaboose.com/new-releases/atlas-ho-rolling-stock-summer-advanced-reservations?utm_source=Caboose+Newsletter&utm_campaign=e5cbde1b3e-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_03_09_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_907397b93c-e5cbde1b3e-100264421&mc_cid=e5cbde1b3e&mc_eid=fef507ff99

Not sure why "ATHEARN" is present but I think it can be ignored

Bill Welch