Re: freight car paint schemes was:[RealSTMFC] Funaro 1932 CP Boxcar

Eric Lombard

Hello Everyone...

Tony wrote: " I didn't have in mind a COMPLETE list of EVERY change on EVERY railroad. But many of us could benefit from a timeline of MAJOR changes on the big railroads."

I dare offer up attached spreadsheet for examination. As some of you know, I have been working on a database of box cars since the mid-eighties. The focus is documentation for every box car series built new between 1910 and 1944. Also included is every series renumbered, or rebuilt, or renumbered and rebuilt from those new series, all with service histories based on ORER car counts, railroad records, government publications, and other documentation. This extends the scope of the data into the early 1980's. Certain series suiting my eclectic tastes reach back into the 1890's. As a relational database, series are linked to published photos, plans, equipment diagrams, and citations from documents. At the moment there are (rounded) entries for 8500 series representing 576 car owners, based on 31,000 citations to 5500 documents. In addition, there are links to 13,400 instances of photos and 6600 drawings, I recite this to put the attached spreadsheet in perspective.

The timeline constructed as a side project to the above has 1700 records. The attached excerpt at 451 records is a subset related to RR specific graphics and general MCB, ARA, AAR recommendations or requirements. The entries are accessioned only when encountered in pursuit of information related to the larger goal above: i.e.no attempt has been made to research paint and heraldry in a dedicated way.

Reviewing the entries the deficits of a textural description not accompanied by drawings and photos is evident. A relational database can do that with the addition of those items. At 450 entries over 35 years my accession rate has been about 15/year. Based on that I think dedicated work by a few focused individuals could complete a very useful document in less than a year.

Comments?

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:26 PM al.kresse <water.kresse@...> wrote:
Are you only interested in western railroads? Every type of revenue producing car? . . . or also M&W and cabooses? What eras  . . . . 1900-1972 say for the C&O? . . . or 1926-1962?  etc.?

Al Kresse