Re: Photo: Cyclotron Load On C&NW Heavy Duty Flat Car 48053

Tim O'Connor

I don't really care what it is, but I'd like to know what those heavy
steel rods are attached to on the deck of the flat car. Didn't those flats
have heavy steel floors? Are the rods bored into the deck?

On 7/21/2019 3:55 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: Cyclotron Load On C&NW Heavy Duty Flat Car 48053

A 1946 photo:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A943.84664.GN/viewer

Photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

A cyclotron is a device to accelerate charged atomic and subatomic particles by an alternating electric field. More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

I believe the photo shows some non-operating part of the cyclotron, perhaps a support base.

Bob Chaparro

Sterling, Massachusetts