Re: Photo: Cyclotron Load On C&NW Heavy Duty Flat Car 48053

C J Wyatt

I am guessing that if the riggers did not find a hole near where they needed one, they just cut one themselves.

Jack wyatt

On Sunday, July 21, 2019, 08:54:47 PM EDT, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Tim,

The steel floor of these cars likely had holes for rods used as tie downs. Some steel floored flat cars had holes that were essentially a larger diameter circle partially superimposed on a smaller circle. The rod with either a bent end or a bolt on the end, could be fitted through the large hole and then slid over into the smaller hole, resulting in the rod being retained by the deck.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith