Re: Photo: Cyclotron Load On C&NW Heavy Duty Flat Car 48053

Paul Woods <paul@...>

I think the owner of the car would have some frank words to say about extra holes being cut in their property; it has been my experience that disaster follows close behind the guy who picks up a gas torch and starts hacking into structures, and cutting new holes would only be a last resort after every other possible method of securing the load had been tried.  If holes for holding-down bolts are not included as part of the original design, then lugs welded to the steel deck are often used, though usually not without the o.k. of the owner's engineering staff first.

Paul W
Whangarei, NZ