Re: ARA 1932 Matches for Atlas Body Styles

Donald B. Valentine

Hi Garth,

    I have Ted's book and a few other photos of the 1932 cars. I have only five of the Atlas cars and may
have gotten confused on the Seaboard car becasue I juts brought it out and find it had never been opened.
It has been now and is the correct Type 2 car with the correct 11 panel flat roof. Mine has the "Route of
the Orange Blossom Special" lettering as road #18047 but Atlas has also offered the Seaboard car with
that nomenclatureand just the simple Seaboard lettering. I believe it is the N.C.&St.L. car that may have
the wrong roof as from your list it appears that should also be a Type 2 model but mine is a type 7 with
a Murphy 12 panel roof and flat, riveted end.. My next model of these cars is MEC #4499 which, as it is
supposed to be, is a Type 1. There were still a few of these around when I first became professionally
involved with the MEC 50 years ago, though bu that tinme they were painted green, not brown! Lastly I
have a pair of the Erie version, one with the original small diamond herald the other with the larger version.
To hell with this 'logo' nonsense and the lack of respect that infers, it is a herald or an emblem to me. New
England Yankee to the core that I am, these Erie cars are still the nicest part of the 1932 ARA cars from
Atlas IMHO. They are the only models I have ever seen with a correct Buckeye end and Atlas has done
a superb job with them, Having them with both sizes of Erie diamond heralds is simply the frosting on the
cake. I do not understand how Atlas could do such a superlative job with these 1932 ARA series cars and
fall flat on their faces as they did with the USRA rebuilds. I will own more of these 1932 ARA cars before
being done with them as they are a great addition to my 1948 car fleet.

Cordially, Don Valentine