Re: Athearn 200 ton crane directions -- help request

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dan,

Ah, fussy trucks! I had one of the metal cranes picked up second-hand as a youngster. It had some non-sprung metal trucks, which I now gather might have been a substitution. They were always loose, and the crane tripped over everything it went around a curve. I never got the monster completely put together, as there were no instructions.
Being zamac, eventually the boom pivot cracked, and it was in my junk box when I sold off all my HO stuff when I went off to college. I think I still have the smaller hook in my parts bin somewhere.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 7/28/19 8:40 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Trivial point, but there was at least one additional version … after the crane was released as a plastic offering there were two versions … with and without the stack for the steam boiler. The stackless version supposedly representing a crane converted to Diesel power, though such cranes usually had external vents for the radiators needed to cool the engines, and the Athearn crane’s cab remained unmodified.

Another detail worth mentioning is that the diecast metal version of the crane featured fully working equalized 6-wheel Buckeye trucks (fussy to assemble). After the crane was converted to plastic the trucks just had just solid one-piece plastic frames (still available today).

Dan Mitchell

On Jul 27, 2019, at 7:41 PM, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

Try this source https://hoseeker.net/athearninstructionscars1950/Athearncrane1952.jpg. If that link doesn't work go to hoseeker.net select literature scroll down to athearn click on athearn  and select freight car instructions1950's scroll down to Crane big hook 1952
Al Smith
Sonora CA
On ‎Saturday‎, ‎July‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎04‎:‎23‎:‎16‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PDT, Jon Miller <atsfus@...> wrote:

    Remember Athearn produced two versions of the crane.  The first was zamac and had 3 pulleys for boom and main hook.  The later version was plastic and had 1 pulleys  in place of the three.
--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941