Stalking PFE Reefers

Bob Chaparro

Stalking PFE Reefers

The comment below was in response to a discussion about per diem rates on the CB&Q Group. I believe Tony Thompson has mentioned PFE's need to gather their reefers, also.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

Thank you for the discussion of per diem rates and whether they were too low or too high.  I wonder what the home railroad was for refrigerator cars when the refrigerator car company was owned by more than one railroad, such as the PFE.  My dad was a traveling agent for PFE (out of Chicago) form 1945 to 1960 or so.  It seemed to me his main job was not checking on icings but rather visiting yard offices (making a circuit in an area over the ear) to find the PFE cars that were being held.  It did not seem a priority of the railroads anywhere, so far as I could tell, to return the cars.

Doug Hosler