Re: Monon

william darnaby

The Monon Historical Society offered these cars in the Merchandise Service paint.  Only the 10' IH 1937 type cars...Monon's 9000 series...got this scheme.  I don't know if the company store still has them.  Maybe ebay?

Bill Darnaby

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 04:25:15 PM CDT, Bill Keene via Groups.Io <bill41@...> wrote:

Mike,

Thank you for the free runner confirmation. I will plan to add one of these cars to my modest freight car fleet.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 4, 2019, at 1:56 PM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Bill,

Yes, those were free running general service boxcars.

However, some 50 footers with this scheme seem to have been in assigned service between the RCA factories in Monticello and Bloomington Indiana.  There was a similar scheme with the words "HIGH SPEED MERCHANIDISE SERVICE" in the light gray band that were in LCL service from the early 50s until the late 50s.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide