Re: Photo: PRR Boxcar 26705

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bob,

The "covered structure" is likely a dump trestle for domestic heating coal, something a lot of lumber dealers also sold. I recently photographed a similar uncovered structure at the Montpelier mansion near Orange, Virginia. The coal trestle is still there with its rails intact (and also a private freight shed). Because the spur was privately owned, they track was left intact when the Southern Railroad removed the switch many years ago.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/5/19 4:04 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: PRR Boxcar 26705

Old but undated photo:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-03-19/X7385.jpg

The industry on the spur is interesting:

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-03-19/X7383.jpg

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-08-03-19/X7382.jpg

Perhaps a construction supplies business? I also see railroad ties along with lumber and pipe. The spur leads into a covered structure, purpose unknown.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA