Re: Less Than Carload Shipments

Charles Peck

It might simply be harder to get the railroad to carry your crate of stuff when there is no freight agent closer than Jacksonville or Omaha.  The stations are closed, the agents are gone, the interface between the railroad and the small shipper has gone away.
If you wanted to ship a barrel of pickles to the general store in Podunk, who would you call?  A trucking company, of course, who would come pick up your cargo and deliver it to an address.
Call CSXT?  Laughable.
Chuck Peck

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 9:32 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

LCL declined RAPIDLY after the end of 1945. Trucks quadrupled their
market share
of ton miles in just 15 to 20 years.

Since railroads were Common Carriers, they were obligated to carry
whatever freight
was presented to them to move. If LCL service had an end, there would
have had to have
been an ICC decision that permitted railroads to turn away from this
service, whether
shippers wanted it or not. And of course unions would weigh in over
closures of freight
houses.

Anyway, I've never heard of such a decision or documentation of it.
Maybe LCL ended not
with a bang, but a whimper.

Tim O'

--