Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Less Than Carload Shipments

Tim O'Connor

According to this web site, the Pacific Electric ceased all RAIL LCL in 1952,
and transferred the service to trucks (e.g. Pacific Motor Transport). Someone
here mentioned using LCL rather late, it taking a month to cross the country,
and suspecting it was all done by truck. That sounds right to me. The SP embraced
intermodal by the early 1950's and Overnight trains had lots of piggyback trailers
even before the end of steam operations.

http://www.elserenohistoricalsociety.org/P___E_RR.php

Tim O'Connor

On 8/7/2019 3:13 PM, C J Wyatt wrote:
If something was completely hopeless, you could get a favorable ICC decision. With LCL, I think that happened long before the Staggers Act. I never came across any railroad operated LCL operations in the seventies during my railroad career.

Jack Wyatt

Sterling, Massachusetts