Tichy tank car

Andy Carlson

I have found that the various wheel bases of tank cars make a huge difference in lettering cars. I remember once thinking that UTLX and ACF tank bodies were so close, they could be a start of something kit bashed. B ut those two builders had noticably different wheel bases. Because the tank body bands are located at the bolster area, wheel base will change the amount of room between the head cap and these bands, making proportions go astray.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019, 2:16:15 PM PDT, D. Scott Chatfield <blindog@...> wrote:

I know much has been written about this so-called USRA tank car, but I have a question.  What was the gallonage of said USRA design?

The reason I ask is I am decaling said Tichy tank car to represent a Milwaukee Road water car, which apparently was built by ACF in 1923 (if I read the fuzzy scan right).  It is a 10,000 gallon ARA III with a barrel made from four longitudinal courses.  Which basically matches the Tichy car.  But when I started putting decals on it I noticed they don't quite fall where they should.  So yes, there are several variables here, but when I measured the actual model I found its body has a volume of about 9000 to 9200 gallons.  Can't say I've ever laid eyes on a tank car that size.

So is the Tichy tank about 10% undersized?  Or is it correct for the plans for the never-built USRA tank, which I always thought was a 10,000 gallon tank.

Oh, while said Milwaukee Road water car is a post-1960 paint job, it will occasionally be switched by an NW2....

Scott Chatfield
_._,_._,_