Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Tichy tank car

Gatwood, Elden J SAD

Scott;

The USRA car Tichy did with the larger dome I measured for my talks on modeling tank cars, and my measurements (which could be wrong) came out close to 10k, like the USRA car of that capacity. I had a similar challenge with lettering, and found the decals I purchased were oversized.

And, I know everybody believes there were no USRA cars in real life, but there was an AC&F-built car astoundingly similar sitting on a siding in L.A. for many years that me, Greg Martin, and many others saw, so make of that what you will.

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of D. Scott Chatfield
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 5:15 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Tichy tank car

I know much has been written about this so-called USRA tank car, but I have a question. What was the gallonage of said USRA design?

The reason I ask is I am decaling said Tichy tank car to represent a Milwaukee Road water car, which apparently was built by ACF in 1923 (if I read the fuzzy scan right). It is a 10,000 gallon ARA III with a barrel made from four longitudinal courses. Which basically matches the Tichy car. But when I started putting decals on it I noticed they don't quite fall where they should. So yes, there are several variables here, but when I measured the actual model I found its body has a volume of about 9000 to 9200 gallons. Can't say I've ever laid eyes on a tank car that size.

So is the Tichy tank about 10% undersized? Or is it correct for the plans for the never-built USRA tank, which I always thought was a 10,000 gallon tank.

Oh, while said Milwaukee Road water car is a post-1960 paint job, it will occasionally be switched by an NW2....

Scott Chatfield

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.