Re: Tichy tank car

Bruce Smith

WWII built USG-A cars built by AC&F were also similar, but as with the Canadian cars, which were built by CC&F, the under frame was different so the Tichy kit is not completely correct. Note that these cars were a "throw back" in that they were class II tank cars that were limited in the cargos that could be carried when compared to the standard class 3 (103) cars of the time.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of bn2204 via Groups.Io <doswift@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:07 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tichy tank car

Scott

It's my understanding that the Tichy model represents a USRA design from WWI that was never built here in the US. However, this design was built in Canada during WWII and the Canadian cars survived into the early 1980's. If memory serves me well, the manway is 54" in dia., as where the initial Tichy model was offered with a 60" manway. (Tichy now offers the 54" manway.) The centersill and brake appliances are slightly different, and there's been discussion about using  the frame from an 8000 gal Intermountain to more accurately model the frame. But as is, the tank itself is correct. There were several Canadian owners, but CGTX and CN were the big owners of the cars. In fact, I need several of these cars myself.

http://www.nakina.net/pages/cgtx/cgtx001001.html
www.nakina.net
CGTX 1001 series: CGTX's 1000 series consisted of a mixture of 10,000 and 12,000 gallon tank cars, and were a mixture of new and used cars acquired from 1932 to 1952.

Darrall Swift - Lagrange, Ohio
Modeling the BN/MILW in North Central Montana,  Great Falls to Shelby,  Circa: August-September 1979

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.