Re: Tichy tank car

Richard Townsend

In Tony Thompson's blog he reported the Tichy tank car's volume to be 9840 gallons. http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/10/naperville-tank-car-handout-part-2.html

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>; RealSTMFC@groups.io <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Aug 14, 2019 10:38 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tichy tank car

Hi Scott,

I don’t think anybody has actually answered your question about the dimensions of the model tank.  What dimensions did you measure, and how did you convert that to gallonage?

Regards,

-Jeff

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of D. Scott Chatfield
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:15 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Tichy tank car

I know much has been written about this so-called USRA tank car, but I have a question.  What was the gallonage of said USRA design?

The reason I ask is I am decaling said Tichy tank car to represent a Milwaukee Road water car, which apparently was built by ACF in 1923 (if I read the fuzzy scan right).  It is a 10,000 gallon ARA III with a barrel made from four longitudinal courses.  Which basically matches the Tichy car.  But when I started putting decals on it I noticed they don't quite fall where they should.  So yes, there are several variables here, but when I measured the actual model I found its body has a volume of about 9000 to 9200 gallons.  Can't say I've ever laid eyes on a tank car that size.

So is the Tichy tank about 10% undersized?  Or is it correct for the plans for the never-built USRA tank, which I always thought was a 10,000 gallon tank.

Oh, while said Milwaukee Road water car is a post-1960 paint job, it will occasionally be switched by an NW2....

Scott Chatfield

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.