Re: Tichy tank car

Tony Thompson

Ed Bommer wrote:

Jeff's question can be answered from knowing the inside dimensions of any tank - length and diameter in this case.
Those dimensions would be an few inches LESS than the outside measurements.

     Thee are complications with the domed heads and other issues. I explored ALL of that and came up with an excellent approximation to account for the details. It's at this link if you're interested:

And as Richard Townsend observed, I calculated way back in 2012 that the Tichy tank volume is 9840 gallons.
     BTW, in response to Scott Chatfield's comment about dome volume, it was required to be a MINIMUM of 2 percent of the tank volume. Car buyers could choose to have larger domes if they wished.

Tony Thompson
Berkeley, CA