Re: Tichy tank car

Tony Thompson

Dave Parker wrote:

First, the outage chart and tables were likely needed in a significant number of cases . . .

Thanks, Dave. I appreciate the additional details.

Last, starting some time in the early 1920s (perhaps 1923), the dome volumes of cars fitted with "side dome safety valves" were downgraded for all inflammable commodities.

      The side-mount safety valves, though ordinarily performing exactly the same as dome-top valves (and both being 5-inch diameter), had the drawback that cargo expanding into the dome would submerge the side-mounts before reaching the top of the dome to interfere with top-mounts. I'm sure that's the reason for this capacity downgrade. And it's known as the reason for preferring top mounts.

Tony Thompson