Re: MEK Substitute and current plastic cements

Nelson Moyer

I bought a quart of MEK at Menards about two years ago, but I haven't look for it since as a quart goes a long way. Tenax is methylene chloride, and I found an online chemical supply company that will sell 500 ml bottles of methylene chloride.

https://www.carolina.com/catalog/detail.jsp?prodId=875970&s_cid=ppc_ms_products&scid=scbplp875970&sc_intid=875970&msclkid=4278d12ae0331a02f9698c76e90512b2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC%20Shopping&utm_term=4577541784564665&utm_content=All%20Products

The web site suggests ethyl acetate as a green substitute, but I have no experience with ethyl acetate as a styrene cement. You might also look for MEK at a full service paint store.

Nelson Moyer
Iowa City, IA

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Denny Anspach
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:55 AM
To: RealSteamEraFreightCarList <RealSTMFC@groups.io>; Passenger Car List <passengercarlist@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] MEK Substitute and current plastic cements

I am on the very edge of using up the last drops of my Tenax and Ambroid liquid plastic cements, and I was jolted this morning when my reliable ACE Hardware store informed me that they can no longer carry my otherwise usual MEK (and this is IOWA, not California). I do have some Testors (2-3 years old), but at least the bottle that I have seems to take forever or…. not at all to set up.

ACE does carry MEK Substitute (clearly so identified), but I have no idea what it is or what it might be, and I am loathe to buy a quart of something that may not at all work. What are other listers’ experiences these days?

Excuse the cross-listing.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.