Re: MEK Substitute and current plastic cements

Matt Goodman

There was some discussion about MEK and methylene chloride replacements (as well as other sources for the latter) on the MRH site a few months back. Like all threads, it wanders a bit, but the proponent’s descriptions for the replacements is on this page:

I haven’t used either replacement, so can’t personally comment.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile

On Aug 20, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I bought a quart of MEK at Menards about two years ago, but I haven't look for it since as a quart goes a long way. Tenax is methylene chloride, and I found an online chemical supply company that will sell 500 ml bottles of methylene chloride.

https://www.carolina.com/catalog/detail.jsp?prodId=875970&s_cid=ppc_ms_products&scid=scbplp875970&sc_intid=875970&msclkid=4278d12ae0331a02f9698c76e90512b2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC%20Shopping&utm_term=4577541784564665&utm_content=All%20Products

The web site suggests ethyl acetate as a green substitute, but I have no experience with ethyl acetate as a styrene cement. You might also look for MEK at a full service paint store.

Nelson Moyer
Iowa City, IA