Re: SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO BLINK

Staffan Ehnbom

The GN 72750-72773 series container gondolas was extended to 72774 by the July 1970 ORER at least.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 6:54 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Ed, thanks for the additional pictures! I'm especially happy the car is
coupled to a Southern Pacific hopper!

However you might want to check your number series - 72774 is not part of any
of the series you listed.

I agree the reinforced ribs are just that, and nothing more. I wish those
Sunshine kits were still available!

Tim O'Connor

On 8/20/2019 12:00 PM, spsalso via Groups.Io wrote:

Tim,

The answer to your question is:  "Yes" and "No".

There are three number series of interest:  GN 72500-72749, GN 72750-72770, and GN 72771-72773.

The latter two were made up of cars pulled from the former, and were the ones used in container service.  So that's a qualified "Yes".

The "No" comes up because, first, the cars apparently got roller bearings fairly quickly after conversion.  Also, all the pictures of these cars in Thompson's book show additional reinforced ribs on the car side (2 per side) (see my photo).  He shows three shots of the container cars with the reinforcements.  But he also shows one shot of a car in the "regular" series with the reinforcements.  As you know, Sunshine did these cars.  It would appear doable to add the reinforcing ribs.  I don't think Sunshine offered this version, though I could be wrong.

I am attaching two overhead views of the car and the containers.  From the pictures, I don't see that there was any modification to the inside of the car for the containers.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts