Re: MEK Substitute and current plastic cements

Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...>

After a determined try with seven paint suppliers in this region, this was my result: Five had in hand or would only order MEK substitute. One had MEK in gallons @$49.00. One (Menard’s) had a deep shelf of MEK quarts @$9.50. The 20 miles drive to secure the latter was leavened completely by a nearby stunningly-delicious(!) supper of lengua, onions and cilantro (in Iowa, no less!).

I thank all of those who have divulged the chemical formulations. This kind of information will almost certainly be more and more useful for many in this hobby.

I am a big fan of Tamiya products, and I am surely going to try their thin cement. I have a can of their new-to-me semi-gloss clear coating that I am looking to for the many finishes that demand something more than dead flat, but not anywhere near a reflective gloss.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA