Re: what to do with all those leftover freight car trucks?

David Jobe, Sr.

AFAIK, ASF had no foundries in Chicago only the corporate office, at least
by1973 after this list. Side frames and bolsters would have come from East
St. Louis, Illinois until it was closed in 1959, Granite City, Illinois or
Alliance, Ohio. Springs most likely came from Hammond, Indiana which also
produced some forgings. Indiana Harbor, Indiana supplied smaller castings
like couplers. There were three or four other works including Sharon,
Pennsylvania, but I don't have my references readily available. Their
foundry mark was an octagon circumscribing the letter for the works.
Octagon E, G, A, H, I, etc.

The only "machining" I recall, for certain, was grinding of various parting
lines or vent risers.

Hope That Helps,

David Jobe, Sr.
Saint Ann, Missouri