Re: PM box car - unusual ends?

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim and Armand,

A very useful categorization, at least if all of us used it. It needs to be expanded, and available somewhere in our archives.

Van Dorn ends?

How about adding the Canadian NSCE ends?

Are the NTE ends the ones applied to experimental light-weight boxcars built in the late 1930s? There were two versions of these ends, one by Pullman with fat wales that ended short of the car end edges, and another very rare end by AC&F which had thinner wales that went all the way to the car end edges. See MODEL RAILROADING June 1987.

What is meant by the "alternate" on the R+3/4 IDE and R+3/4 TDE ends? Could this be better defined?

Could we have an addendum classing the various auto car end door designs?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/26/2019 9:47 AM, Armand Premo wrote:
Unusual ends?How about the C&O 5400s with the "Deco ends.Armand Premo


On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 8:57 AM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

lol - and a third candidate term! I started with Ed Hawkins' nomenclature
where he assigned a specific code to each type of end. In my opinion that's
really the only solution - a kind of scientific notation for freight car ends.
I expanded on Ed's and I keep them on file as my own reference

 5/5/5 MUR     Murphy end
   7/7 MUR     Murphy end
 3/3/3 DN      dreadnaught (some early auto cars)
   4   DN      dreadnaught (gondolas)
   4/4 DN      dreadnaught
   4/5 DN      dreadnaught
   5/5 DN      dreadnaught
   4/4 DART    "dartnot" or ACF Car Builder end (1950-1954)
   4/4 IDE     "rolling pin"
   4/4 IDE-2   "rolling pin" w/ short top rib
   3/4 IDE     "rolling pin" w/ extra narrow top rib
   3/4 IDE-2   "rolling pin" w/ no extra narrow top rib
 R-3/4 IDE     "rolling pin" w/ rectangular top rib (postwar to 1954)
 R+3/4 IDE      - alternate
 R-3/4 TDE     "tapered rib" w/ rectangular top rib (1955 and onwards)
 R+3/4 TDE      - alternate
   4/4 TDE     "tapered rib" w/ no rectangular rib
 3/3/3 TDE     "tapered rib" w/ no rectangular rib
   x/x PSE     Pullman Standard end
     x NTE     Non Terminating End

          -r   modifier indicates rivet seams
          -w   modifier indicates welded seams

   ... IV..    "inverse" pattern (mirror image)
   ... RV..    "reverse" pattern (inside out)

On 8/25/2019 3:02 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

Tim O'Connor wrote:

You're looking at the backside view of most dreadnaught ends (with variations
in the number of ribs and panels). Some call them "reverse dreadnaughts" and I've
heard "inverse dreadnaught" as well.
     I don't see this as a reverse end at all. I think people are being confused by the two wider ribs, probably located at seams where pieces of the end are joined together. It might be a RECESSED end, in which the corrugations look pressed INTO the end, rather than proud of its surface, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Join to automatically receive all group messages.