Thanks Schuyler, I'll try to find some.  I tried the alcohol and peroxide on a que tip and nothing.  I'm very disappointed but it is a print and I may try to find a new one.  If available and affordable.  In the mean time I may go try the alcohol again but, this time in a glass over ice.
Fenton
PS if anyone knows a good source of Howard Fogg prints, let me know.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:10 PM Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Fenton.

There is a process called “de-acidification.”  As many of you know, the “Official Guide” book were printed on flimsy paper which was also acid-rich, and as a consequence become extremely fragile.  I have an Official Guide from 1948, when I was born, and was interested in preserving it.  The conservator I consulted told me about this process, which in that case involved inserting a thin deacidifying paper between every two pages – at some significant expense.  As a result, my OG continues to deteriorate.

But with a single print, it might not be too terribly expensive. The questions asked about whether it’s a signed original print vs a reproduction are considerations for sure.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of O Fenton Wells
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2019 3:38 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Removing mold from a railroad print

Looks like I was wrong and it is not mildew but an acid from the tube that it was stored in.  It's brown.  The freezer and drying it didn't budge it.  NOt sure it's worth going too much farther.

Anyone know a good source for Howard Fogg railroad prints?

Fenton

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I like Jon's idea

Real photo paper is pretty water resistant. I would add a tiny drop of
ammonia to the Q tip + water to kill the bacteria. but i'd test it first.

On 8/27/2019 1:11 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

On 8/26/2019 2:55 PM, Bob Miller wrote:

Check with an art museum or art dealer and ask about folks who clean and conserve old paintings,etc.

    If it costs too much you might try a Q tip and water or soap and water.

--
Jon Miller

Sterling, Massachusetts

--