Re: Piedmont & Northern 1101 Styrene and Resin Build PartOne

BillM

That would make sense for a P&N car especially in the South. In Anderson SC the C&WC, Blue Ridge(SR) and P&N all interchanged and each had a small yard.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Eric Hansmann
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 8:24 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Piedmont & Northern 1101 Styrene and Resin Build PartOne

Possibly the marks are C&WC for Charleston & Western Carolina.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On August 30, 2019 at 5:11 AM "Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io" <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

    Thanks for that photo Curt. I never cease to be amazed of the great freight car photos that turn up on this list.

This one is a real surprise. But look at the end of the next car to the right. I can't believe the reporting marks are

NYC because the first letter is hidden, the second looks more like a "W" but the third certainly is a "C". The

number appears to be #8008 whch again tels me it is not an NYC car. But the end itself is a prize! There are

two sections with five ribs each on the bottom, then a section with only two ribs surmounted by a final section

with five ribs. The car is obviously taller than the P&N car which my July 1959 ORER tells me had a maximum

height if 13 ft. 9 in. for the running board. Guess the brake wheel didn't count! The ORER also tells me that there

were 15 cars of this type still present at that time and lists the ten numbers that were vacant. I presume this

indicates thet there were 25 cars purchased second hand sometime in the late 1940's or very early 1950's as

the road had no boxcars for a period after WW II. Two neat cars but I'd love to know what the other is and would

not be surprised to find it is an auto car.

Cordially, Don Valentine