Re: Terms For Freight Car Parts

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>


Tell me about it. I believe I was the one who inadvertently introduced the term "Gould Standard" to the hobby some 30 years ago (to my shame!). I used it to describe the Haskell & Barker cabooses used by the various Gould railroads--WP, D&RGW and MP. I put this in quotes, but to my surprise and horror it slipped into the mainstream and has appeared magazine articles and even otherwise well-researched books, implying that this was an official Gould program. Although the Gould roads did use some common equipment designs, AFAIK the commonality was more a matter of purchasing convenience and economies of scale than a serious attempt at uniformity. In short, there was no Gould Standard.

I wish I had never used the term.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 8/31/2019 9:36 AM, Randy Hammill wrote:

. . . But perhaps the person who coined it had a very specific use in mind which has been lost in time. That’s a problem with invented terms, because the meaning can vary over time, where the published term was fixed at the time of publication. It doesn’t mean that it won’t ever change, nor that there may not be multiple terms in use. But at least there’s industry documentation to refer to . . . .


Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

Join to automatically receive all group messages.