Re: Helped needed with reefer identification

Bruce A. Metcalf <brmetcalf@...>

On 9/2/19 9:10 AM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:

In the postwar period the New Haven had four Shoreline freights that left Boston every night at half hour intervals beginning at 5:15 PM.
... My friend saw this train frequently but cannot recall who owned
the majority of these reefers. He specifically recalls that many of
them had truss rods, some being swaybacked, and all being very
definitely yellow rather than orange. In one photo he took during
these years one appears to have had a circular herald on the end to
the right of the door. ... Does anyone have any good knowledge of the
make up of this train and the equipment used? It should also be noted
that there was a later train with similar cars that was not one of
The four Horsemen but was commonly called the Second Fish. Any help
in determining the actual car ownership would be greatly
appreciated.
You might find some useful ideas in:

"The great yellow fleet : a history of American railroad refrigerator cars" by John H White, San Marino, Calif. : Golden West Books, 1989.

Don't have a copy at hand presently, but it's where I would look first.

Cheers,
/ Bruce /