Re: [MFCL] ART #200 - #299 36 ft. reefer

Ed Hawkins

On Sep 5, 2019, at 7:33 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

    I'm hoping that someone on this list might have a photo of an ART #200 - #299 36 ft. reefer in the postwar period.
Supposedly these cars had truss rods, if one can believe the Athearn/Roundhouse model. I believe the carbodies
were yellow and the roof & ends brown. The lettering, or mostly the herald, on the Athearn/aRoundhouse model
looks a little large for the postwar period, which is chief reason a photo fr that era is sought. It is shows the roof or
"B" end so much the better.

Thanks for any help that can be found, Don Valentine

Don,
In 1940 George Sisk photographed ART 247 from series 200-299, built in July 1930 by the Mount Vernon Car Manufacturing Co. The cars with wood sides & ends had steel fish-belly center sills. These cars never had truss rods.

A builder photo of ARTBX 299 was published on p. 177 of the 1931 Car Builders’ Cyclopedia & p. 188 of the 1937 CBC. The original ARTBX reporting marks were changed to ARTX by 2/32. The reporting marks became simply ART sometime after 7-38 to 5-40 per reweigh stencils on ART 247.

The sides were yellow, and the ends & roof were brown (often referred to by ART as Inco Red). The 1940 photo appears much like the builder photo, except with normal “ART” reporting marks stencils used in 1940 and lacking the original Brine Tank stencils. Still used were Dairy Products stencils above the side door.

The ART 247 photo is the only in-service photo from the 200-299 series I’ve come across. Regarding postwar schemes applied to these cars, it’s speculative to discuss given these cars were about 3 or 4 feet shorter in overall length than 40’ ART wood or steel refrigerator cars.

It seems logical to me that repainted cars in 1948-1950 would have received the added railroad monograms to the left of the door above the reporting marks. I'm dubious if the 1951 lettering with the larger Wabash flag and red & white MP “buzz-saw” emblem to the right of the door, which ART’s 40’ reefers received, would have all fit on these 200-299 series cars of shorter overall length.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins