Re: Lime Unloading IC/LTRR Gondola

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Eric,

In the late 19790s when I was at an inter-service school at Ft. Harrison, Indiana, I photographed a mill gondola of coal being unloaded for the base heating plant. Conrail had also provided a tracked crane with a clamshell bucket similar to the one in the Illinois photo, the whole rig mounted temporarily on a flatcar for the unloading. Sadly, I don't have the slide anymore.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 9/8/2019 1:21 PM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
A Lake Terminal mill gondola pressed into bulk material service. Interesting. F&C produces an HO scale resin kit for this gondola. A few lettering styles are available, including this one.

While bulk loads in a mill gon are not typical, they have occurred. I one found a photo of a 61-foot Western Maryland mill gon loaded with coal.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Sep 8, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Matt Smith <flyn96@...> wrote:

Lime unloading from gondolas.

Another great images from the IDA Pantagraph Collection
http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/p16614coll35/id/32654/rec/286

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL