Re: Express reefers?

Lloyd Keyser

The C&NW would run solid express reefer trains as required off the UP connection in Omaha. These trains were known to run upwards of 15 to 20 cars and pulled by the big Hudson's at passenger train speed. In general they called them cherry trains. One is shown East bound on the Linn County cut off on the south side of Cedar Rapids, IA. on page 20 of Chicago and North Western In Color Volume I. After arriving in Chicago the train was immediately broken up for the eastern roads.   Lloyd Keyser

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 11:20 AM C J Wyatt <cjwyatt@...> wrote:
Express reefers have been known to run in freight trains, sometimes when returning empty, so my opinion is that they are fair game for STMFC. Other opinions may vary.

Jack Wyatt

On Monday, September 9, 2019, 11:19:04 AM EDT, Bob Werre <bob@...> wrote:

I am seldom a poster here but I learn so much.  I have a question regarding express reefers that I hope is allowed on this list.  I have too many of them for the size of my layout.  Is there evidence of express trains running several at one time?  I need to justify running a short string of them as part of a harvest rush.

Bob Werre