Re: Helped needed with reefer identification

Randy Hammill

They were almost certainly FGEX consortium cars, whose truss rod cars ran into the 50s. In 1948 they comprised almost 12% of FGEX, more than 41% of WFEX, and over 10% of BREX, or more than 21% of their combine fleet. By ‘53 it was less than 3%.

Sunshine and Resin Car Works have released some models, and I posted how I plan to model them here:

http://blog.newbritainstation.com/2018/12/fgexbrexwfex-truss-rod-reefers.html?m=1

And here:

http://blog.newbritainstation.com/2018/12/fgexbrexwfex-reefers-continued.html?m=1

There is an excellent article by Bill Welch in Prototype Railroad Modeling Journal Vol 2 by available from Speedwitch Media:

http://speedwitchmedia.com/product/prototype-railroad-modeling-volume-two/

They wouldn’t have had the heralds, but without seeing the photo I can’t help there. I would guess there were two different types of cars being remembered, the FGEX consortium truss rod cars and PFE cars with the heralds.

Randy

--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954