Re: C&O Lake Michigan Ferries, was Crappy Job

Craig Wilson

Let's see if I can do this off the top of my head:
1.  Pere Marquette/Chesapeake & Ohio
Badger - still in service at Ludington (autos and trucks only)
Spartan - laid up at Ludington / spare parts periodically salvaged for use on Badger
City of Midland 41 - superstructure removed above car deck - in service as a barge
2.  Grand Trunk Western
Madison, Grand Rapids and City of Milwaukee:  all identical "Manitowoc" boats
Madison and Grand Rapids retired and scrapped
City of Milwaukee  purchased by State of Michigan and leased to Ann Arbor (its last active service).  Later donated to preservation group and moved to Manistee as museum boat (Great Lakes vessels are "boats" not "ships")
3.  Ann Arbor
City of Green Bay (built as Wabash) retired in 1960's and towed to Spain for scrapping
Arthur K Atkinson (built as AA No 6) towed at first to Ludington then to Kewaunee.  Finally sold to private individual and towed to Detour Village (in eastern upper peninsula).  Finally scrapped
Viking (built as AA No 7) last operable AA boat.  Used briefly in service across Lake Erie.  Towed to shipyard in Menominee Mich.  After several failed attempts to sell the vessel and put back into service, was finally cut down into a barge.

At this time only three vessels still exist in their car ferry form:  the Badger, Spartan and City of Milwaukee

Craig Wilson