Re: covered hopper grays

Tom Madden

One of my duties at the rapid prototyping (3D printing) company where I spent the last 21 years of my work life was developing pigment and dye recipes so our cast resin parts would match customers' samples. Much of our output was housings for telecommunications or computer equipment. With few exceptions the customers wanted gray, but each wanted theirs to be different from anyone else's gray. We developed over 2200 color recipes, over half of which were various shades of gray ranging from deep charcoal to off-white. The bulk were mid-range grays, many indistinguishable from each other unless compared side by side in strong lighting. And as Ed says, they looked very different depending on the lighting,and also whether they were glossy or matte.

Tom Madden