Re: covered hopper grays

James E Kubanick

Back in the 1960's I worked as a color matcher for a major paint supplier, and one of the colors I was asked to match was a gray for Western Maryland covered hoppers.The color standard the WM used for this was a color from the Federal Color Standards book. This was a light gray and, unfortunately I can no longer the Federal color number. .Based on this experience, I suspect that other railroads also used Federal colors as the basis for their freight car colors. So, this may be another source for matching freight car colors and olne I have not seen mentioned on this Group.

I do have a Bowser HO WM covered hopper and the color seems pretty close to the WM color standard in my memory. Also,, remember the paint vehicles used back in the 50's and 60's were not particularly light stable ( Cheap was the name of the game), and colorsĀ  often weathered rapidly once exposed to the elements.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Monday, September 16, 2019, 4:09:17 PM EDT, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

One of my duties at the rapid prototyping (3D printing) company where I spent the last 21 years of my work life was developing pigment and dye recipes so our cast resin parts would match customers' samples. Much of our output was housings for telecommunications or computer equipment. With few exceptions the customers wanted gray, but each wanted theirs to be different from anyone else's gray. We developed over 2200 color recipes, over half of which were various shades of gray ranging from deep charcoal to off-white. The bulk were mid-range grays, many indistinguishable from each other unless compared side by side in strong lighting. And as Ed says, they looked very different depending on the lighting,and also whether they were glossy or matte.

Tom Madden