Re: Round roof double door boxcar

anthony wagner

Ron, I too have built PRR X-31s from Bowser kits and the results are actually pretty decent. Not contest quality but quite presentible. The hardest part of redetailing these cars is removing the hand brake rod below the brake step and the diagonal supports for it. Carving off the grab irons with a chisel blade was relatively easy and the roof walk (pardon me - running board) diagonal supports can be clipped off with a side cutter such as Xuron's and smoothed down with a chisel blade. They get replaced with 1x2 Evergreen strip styrene as do the supports under the brake step. For replacing the grab irons I use left over Red Caboose or Intermountain cast grabs from building PRR X-29s. There are enough spares so that you can replace the carved off ones with them.Before installing remove the tiny posts cast on the backs to fit in holes in the Red Caboose cars. The corner roof grabs are Tichy and for the corner support I use a small length of 1x3" styrene whitch when the glue is fully dry can be trimmed with a #11 blade. Once painted it is unnoticeable from 2*3 feet away. The drop grab over the roof indentation under the lateral walks is also Tichy. I also used A Tichy straight grab to replace the cast on grabs in the upper left corner of each end. Polyscale boxcar red is a close match for touching up the wire and styrene additions with a brush. These cars were weathered during their service lives unless they had just come from a complete repaint and any weathering from light to heavy is appropriate. Hope this helps. Tony Wagner

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019, 12:29:44 PM CDT, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

So a bigger part of this question is about models of round roof boxcars.  I'm excluding the wagon-top, and the Seaboard cars (a Sunshine kit for one of those is coming up soon on my build list), just the genuine inset- and flush-roof styles.

I'm not fond of the Bowser cars, since I tried carving the ladders off of one a few years ago and got halfway through before I gave up.  But I do have several of the Bowser kits still.

Then there's the brass ones that were ok for their time, but are lacking in detail.  I believe those were the Trains inc. (?)  I have one of those, which I'd rather sell than paint, but they made most of the major PRR classes and variants.

The Sunshine kits come up on eBay from time to time.  They're the 10.x series, so among the earlier kits.  I suspect sales of these went through the floor after the Bowser kits were announded, which could be why they come up relatively often for sale.  I would build one or more of these if I thought they were relatively easy to build -- as they should be, since in my opinion the weakest point of early Sunshine kits was the roof, and these appear to have a one-piece roof based on the kit photos in the eBay offerings.  It appears that Sunshine never did an X32.

So if you were me, and only needed a couple of round roof cars, whether PRR or not, which one(s) would you recommend?  Modeling a secondary main line in Kansas, 1960.

Ron Merrick