From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Garth Groff
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:45 PM
To: RealSTMFC@groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Pullman Boxcars with "Lollypop Stick Ends"

Friends,

While working through the Pullman photos at the Illinois Digital Archives site ( http://www.idaillinois.org/digital/collection/pshs/search/searchterm/BOXCAR ) I noted that some of the cars from around 1940 had what have been described as "PS-0" ends or "Lollipop Stick" ends (neither term is official, so keep them in quotes). This was a proprietary design used on a few Pullman boxcars cars from the late 1930s to the early 1940s. This led me to search out all the cars with these ends I could find on the site and from my stash of books and articles. I don't guarantee this list is complete. Please note that the additions only show new cars not considered in articles listed earlier, or new owners in a few cases.

PULLMAN BOXCARS WITH SO-CALLED “LOLLIPOP STICK" ENDS FROM ILLINOIS DIGITAL ARCHIVES

B&O 386149 Lot 5673 (50’ DD)
B&O 465000-465899 Lot 5693 (40’ SD)
CGW 52183 Lot 5708 (50’ DD)
PLM X2023 Lot 5615 (40’ SD Demonstrator?)
Seaboard 19000-199499)  Lot 5659 (40’ SD "Turtle-back roof")
Seaboard 11358 Lot 5617 (40’ DD "Turtle-back roof")
Seaboard 11850 Lot 5702 (40’ DD "Turtle-back roof")
TC 7901-7995 (40’ SD)
W&LE 24260 (26000-26199, 40’ SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM MODEL RAILROADING FEBRUARY 1987

B&LE 90101-90200 (40’ SD)
CGW 90000-90049 (40’ SD)
PM 84000-84099 (40’ SD), later C&O 284000-284099)
W&LE 24000-24501 (40’ SD, later NKP 20500-20699)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM RAIL MODEL JOURNAL FEBRUARY 1994

UP 100501 (leased Pullman demo 501), 186000-186024, 186025-186049 (40’ SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM RAIL MODEL JOURNAL MARCH 2001

CE&I 1-5 (40’ SD, express boxcars)
CGW 91000-91099 (40’ SD)
KCS 25100-25299 (50’ SD)
L&A 36001-36200 (50' SD)

ADDITIONAL CARS FROM FROM RAILROAD PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA V. 31-32

KCS 25000-25049 (?) (50’ SD)
NKP 20000-20099 (40' SD)
RI 149051 (ex-UP 100501, see above)

Also of interest are a demonstrator (or maybe two) and two production lots of AC&F cars with similar ends. Similar, but not quite -- the tips of the wales were sharper and wrapped around the end stamping edges, and the shape was a bit different from the Pullman ends.

AC&F BOXCARS WITH SO-CALLED “STILLETTO" ENDS FROM RAILROAD PROTOTYPE CYCLOPEDIA V. 31-32

ACFX 30000 (40’ DS, demonstrator)
B&LE 90102-90300 (40’ SD)
NKP 20200-20499 (40’ SD)

For modeling, most of the MODEL RAILROADING articles noted are confusing and where techniques are shown, they are very dated (like using a Roundhouse boxcar as a starting point). The best article was by Stan Rydarowicz in the March 2001 RMJ. Stan offered resin castings of the Pullman ends in a couple of different configurations. Are parts from his masters still available?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff