Re: Cool DD SAL 40' AAR box car

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:06 AM, Ed Hawkins wrote:
There’s always reasoning behind making decisions that would seemingly require spending money for new dies to producing these ends. In this case it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me why one series of 500 cars would use ends of this MVC Carbuilder design when the normal 4-4 Improved Dreadnaught Ends were commonly used in 1948.
The normal reason for doing this sort of thing is patent avoidance. I haven't looked for patents on the improved Dreadnaught end, but recall from the last time we extensively discussed Dreadnaught ends that they made their appearance just before the Murphy corrugated end was about to become public domain, and the timing of the appearance of the "improved" version suggests a similar scenario. All the various carbuilder ends seem to lack the "darts" of the Dreadnaught design, so it would seem the darts were the patented feature. This would also seem to suggest that these ends were NOT jobbed out to S.R.E.Co. but stranger things have happened.

Why develop the die for just one order of 500 cars? I would suppose they intended to produce a lot more, with the intent of making their cars cheaper by at least the value of the S.R.E.Co. royalty, but it likely didn't work out that way. S.R.E.Co. may have dropped their prices, or the economies of scale just couldn't be beat. Pullman Standard seemed to do well enough with their end.

Dennis Storzek