Re: NP R23 clone reefer

Tim O'Connor

I have always been skeptical of the yellow paint applied to NP R-40-23 models. All
of the color photos I have of NP ice reefers after 1940 are a light orange-yellow color
like the attached photo. But many models have been produced with yellow paint.

Are there any good COLOR photos of these R-40-23 cars when they were new, or reasonably new?

On 9/26/2019 5:46 PM, Fred Jansz wrote:
Hi all,
want to add this IM NP reefer to my reefer collection.
Checked the group archives and could find Mr. Hendrickson's remarks about these cars. He mentioned that the lower 91XXX numbers from 1947 did NOT posess the 'Main Street' phrase. Later cars did have it.
I can take it off, no problem, but what about the roof? I've read somewhere it should be silver? Or was that the case on the R25 clones? See picture of the 1947 R23 clone. Thanks for your help.
best regards, Fred Jansz

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts