Re: Steam line placement on express box cars

Tim O'Connor

It's clear from photos that the steam line was located above the brake rods and rigging,
close to the center sill. And from the drawings it seems apparent that the steam line was
not threaded through the cross bearers. This photo of my Dad's (attached) is the best view
I have of the underside of the cars. I'm guessing the steam line crossed under the center
sill somewhere in the vicinity of the middle of the car.

On 9/26/2019 7:26 PM, passcars via Groups.Io wrote:
With further digging, the steam line location may be illustrated on the brake arrangement drawing SF-33539 which has a different drawing number from the one for the Overnight cars.  The Overnight drawing shows the air brake piping locations, so my best guess is that the brake arrangement drawing for the BX cars possibly shows the steam line location.  The SF-33427 drawing only shows the application of the steam line end valves.

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts