Re: NP R23 clone reefer

np328

     Aaron is right about the Chrome Yellow on the car.  Chrome Yellow was also the color used on NP semaphore blades.
     Fred, I will agree that the tones you posted look different from the top vs the end. I believe (fingers crossed) that the roofs had granular grit (forgot the corporate name) and that well might throw off the light reflection to appear different. I know I posted something a ways back and Tony responded that the granules could be ordered in different colors.
   Does anyone see a shiny surface reflection off the roof the way the black paint is elsewhere?    I do not.

 Fred take the photo enlargement you supplied, https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/attachment/167035/0/Schermafbeelding%202019-09-27%20om%2019.26.53.png

     OK, within the red circle, look on top of the two ladders were they curve inward to attach to the car. The one from the car side on the left reflects the light differently than the one on the right. My feeling is that what is being judged as red is the manner that light particles scatter off an uneven surface, like granules.  However, black.
     I agree with Aaron on the roof, black, as that is what an NP 1944 color charts states: Metal roofs - black.

     I need to run over to the MNHS and relook up the builders specs and see how many gallons of paint and which colors were listed and if indeed, a granular coat put on the roof. Perhaps that will happen this year.  I have a few (paying) research requests I have to get to first.  Not that this is unimportant to me, and Aaron.

   Tony T, if I had solid, verifiable data to add, I would have responded.

Some other externalities that factor in.
1. From 1940 to 1947 includes WWII, which could affect paint colors, or paint chemical ingredients. NP changed their designation of what was to be painted silver (aluminum paint) during the war the war to white, and changed it back after the war. This may have affected reefer paint also, however until factual evidence is found, that is just a guess.
2. Human nature. In files regarding "paint" I found a letter from an NP VP to local division HQ asking about some semaphore blades being Canary Yellow. After checking back came the reply that the blades were badly in need of repainting and the store-master was out of the regular paint and sent the first thing he could get that was close. Several months later, when the correct paint was re-obtained, all these blades were repainted. I would hate to think if someone had a photo of this isolated incident going "Look! Proof!" without the prior letters explaining how this came about.
3. See the attached sheet, it lists eleven different paint suppliers. Does anyone think that (a) these were an exact match or (b) these weathered uniformly?  Much earlier than the date of the attachment, one 1920s sheet lists as many as 23 suppliers.

I showed a photo looking back over an NP reefer consist crossing the Cascades in one of my RPM presentations: many, many, shades of reefer oranges and other colors. Combine that with Richard Hendrickson's statements about how dirty or sooty freight cars were when steam roamed freely.

And so, I hesitate to get into these briar patch conversations without solid factual information.                                      Jim Dick - Roseville, MN