Re: Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range boxcar 3332

Jim Betz

Fenton,

  Not just a good pic for details but also a good pic for weathering effects
on board sided freight cars.  Even though the boards may have all been
applied at the same time (some would be replacements) they don't
weather at the same rate/in the same way.  I've done several flat car
decks with similar amounts of variation from board to board and they
look great.  I achieve that look by using different shades of several
colors and hand painting each board/area - always being careful to
-not- use only one shade on any one board.
                                                                     - Jim B. in Burlington, Wa.