Re: New Decal Availabile

O Fenton Wells

Nice looking car Bill.  It's fun, I think and go back and look at 'Older' models we have built.
Fenton

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 12:10 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Very glad to see these EJ&E decals. Notice they are not offering the set for the Green & Orange cars.

The EJ&E had very interesting steel cars. In addition to their USRA steel rebuilds, they build 10' 6" IH car with Dreadnaught ends and 8-foot doors, essentially the 1937 improved design with wider doors. Curiously they followed these with lower 10-ft IH cars with 8-foot doors and improved Dreadnaught ends, essentially the 1944 AAR car.

Here is my attempt at an EJ&E 10-ft IH boxcar w/improved Dreadnaught Ends using a C&BT kit. The roof was sawed off and I then added styrene on the inside across the door opening to add rigidity. The body lowered by six-inches by sanding on a flat plate and then the roof was re-attached. Look closely and there is a sage in the middle, Ugh. I kept going. The kit door was modified. The bracket grabs are Detail Associates which I now know are too long but the look pretty good. I think I could do a better job 20+ years latter but now I am lobbying Yarmouth to add this car to there Steel car offerings since they are doing such interest steel variations.

The decals are Walthers. The orange decals were not opaque so I wrote them and ordered two more sets and layered them on which worked pretty well. When I ordered I included a note about why I needed more and what I planned to do. The two decal sets included a note that said the sender had to do the same thing.

Bill Welch

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd